Hi ladies, I’m Nkgabiseng Motau. I’m the author of Diary of a Rad Black Women and as part of MPL’s new blog look, I will be taking over the blog for today. You probably can’t read my excitement but I am over the moon to be a part of a brand that has such strong lineage with black hair. I’ve been using MPL since I was a little girl wearing mapondos and butterfly clips to school, but its only now as an adult I’ve truly realized the benefits of the products. I could write a praise poem about the various pros of MPL, but that’s a story for another day.
Recently I’ve been finding it hard to make time for myself, with constant looming deadlines, work functions and squeezing in family time. I can hardly find a second to catch up on Being Mary Jane and anyone who knows me knows I need my dosage of Gabrielle Union. I’m digressing; let me get back to the topic of this discussion – ‘headwrap trick’. As I was saying, I’ve been finding it hard to keep up on my homemade rituals, which consist of a lot of super girly things but most importantly my hot oil treatment, which I apply at least twice a month, but lately it’s been a few hours that I don’t have. Well that’s what I thought before I remembered that power women don’t make excuses, they make a plan and that plan is to multitask.
So since I don’t have a few hours to sit at home and do a hot oil treatment, I decided to treat my hair first thing in the morning and let it sit in while I’m at work. Here’s how:
1. Mix a spoonful each of MPL Coconut Oil and MPL SURE2GRO HAIR OIL (contains jojoba and menthol) into a cup.
2. Put the cup in a bowl of boiled water.
3. Stir the oils until you get a warm liquid. Make sure to test the oil on your wrist before you apply it.
4. Apply the oil onto your scalp throughout the tips of your hair.
5. Cover your hair with a shower cap.
6. Wrap your hair with a headwrap. See pictures for head wrap tutorials.
7. Go to work and slay them.
8. Let the oil do its work while you do yours.